Since October 2012, Doctors of the World has been working with Syrian nurses and doctors to provide primary and sexual and reproductive healthcare to Syrians gathered in various camps and one village in the Idlib-nord region, close to the Turkish border.
The association also helps Syrian partners by supporting 21 health centres and mobile teams in Syria, particularly in Idlib, Alep and Dera governorates. The availability of medicines and essential equipment, which are extremely scarce in times of war, is assured through 10 local partners and the local medical staff are supported to ensure continuity of services in a situation where the authorities no longer fund the country’s healthcare facilities. Moreover, Doctors of the World is able to provide assistance with emergency supplies depending on how the situation develops on the ground.
What we do :
• Providing primary health care sexual and reproductive health services to Syrian women and men
• Providing a continuum of services and health care, now that public authorities have stopped funding the country’s health care infrastructure
• Organizing emergency assistance for use in emergency situations
• Support for post-operative care centres
• Training for the personnel at these centres on caring for victims of the conflict who have been mutilated and traumatized